Light Therapy for Athletes
Photobiomodulation, or light therapy, is used by Olympic athletes and, most recently, in the Nike Oregon Project to speed post-exercise recovery and healing. Strength trainers are also reporting improved strength.
There is strong evidence that photonic light therapy can cause positive biological changes at the cellular level, and supplies the body with non-invasive healing
- Increases circulation of blood and lymphatic system (releases nitric oxide from hemoglobin, which initiates the healing process; nitric oxide is produced, which dilates the vascular system)
- Stimulates collagen production and increases elasticity of skin, promotes cell regeneration
- Increases lymphatic system activity
- Stimulates release of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), energy center of the cells
- May reduce and alleviate pain and inflammation
- Reduces the excitability of nervous tissue
- Stimulates fibroblastic activity that aids in the repair process
- Increases Phagocytois, the process of scavenging and ingesting dead or degenerated cells
- Induces a thermal-like effect in the tissue
- Stimulates tissue granulation and connective tissue projections (healing process of wounds, ulcers, or inflamed tissues)
- Stimulates Acetylcholine release from certain nerves; activates parasympathetic effects of heart vasodilation and improves gastro-intestinal peristalsis
- Stress reduction, relaxes sympathetic nervous system patients
- Clients may experience:
- Decrease in local swelling, decreased inflammation, decreased muscle spasm and tightness
- Decreased tension, increased Range of Motion (RoM)
- Increased lymphatic drainage; increased venous dilation and flow
- Diabetic patients and clients wiht peripheral neuropathy; may experience increase in sensation to pressure and hot/cold
Different frequencies can have supportive effects on different imbalances, such as inflammatory responses - including fibromyalgia and fatigue. One of the most beneficial effects of an LED light treatment series is that it allows the parasympathetic nervous system to become dominant; thereby encouraging your system to respond rather than react, and allowing your body to find its own point of healing and balance.
It's not just anecdotal client feedback, there's science behind this. Numerous studies have been done on the benefits of light therapy, NASA uses light therapy to help astronauts adjust to gravity after a trip to space, and the FDA just cleared the Lumiceutical System and its usage for temporary pain management and to aid in supporting the body in its healing process.
Clients who integrate this treatment into their lifestyle experience benefits comparable to participating in multiple healing modalities at once. The system has thousands of different settings which are beneficial to humans, animals, and plants…really, to any living creature. These frequencies focus in on specific imbalances to restore health and well-being