A Common Treatment for Infections May Result In Painful and Debilitating Side Effects
After a visit with your doctor to treat a common infection such as sinusitis bronchitis conjunctivitis or a urinary infection you may be sent home with a prescription for one of the most dangerous antibiotics. In addition if you tell your doctor that you may be traveling overseas and want to avoid traveler's diarrhea, you may be given a prescription for one of these drugs to be taken prophylactically! They are used by veterinarians on our pets and we may be getting them through our meats as a common antibiotic administered to prevent infections in animals.
"No other antibiotics carry as high a potential to cause serious, permanent injuries and even deaths as fluoroquinolones" posted Dr. Joseph Mercola in his Nov. 1, 2014 online newsletter. Fluoridated antibiotics such as Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, Floxin (fluoroquinolones) are the most commonly prescribed antibiotics class of antibiotics in the U.S. and the FDA has finally taken action to advise the medical profession to the dangers of this class of antibiotics.
WARNING FROM THE FDA - posted 5/12/2016
"FDA is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions fluoroquinolones, should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.
An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves and central nervous system."
Adverse Effects of Fluoroquinolones:
· Tendinopathy (ruptured tendons)
· Peripheral neuropathy
· Retinopathy - damage to retina
· Renal or kidney failure
· Hypertension or high blood pressure
· Central nervous system issues such as hallucinations, suicidal thoughts anxiety toxic cytosis, mitochondrial toxicity (affects energy production), insomnia, brain fog, panic attacks and confusion
· Linked to severed liver damage
· Intestinal cramping
· Intestinal infections including C. diff ( a notoriously antibiotic resistant type of bacteria)
· Disruption of the gut microbiome or community
· Photo sensitivity or phytotoxicity (problems with being in sunlight)
Most of those who have reported adverse effects from this class of drugs said they were not given any warning of possible dangers.
How Do These Drugs Cause Harm?
It appears that Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) kills bacteria by inhibiting enzymes that are required for bacterial DNA replication, transcription, repair and recombination. These enyzmes called toposiomerases can profoundly affect human gene expression thus turning genes off and on. If someone has a genetic predisposition for an autoimmune disease such as Hashimotos', rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, these toposiomerases may trigger life-changing symptoms. In some individuals, the reaction may be abruptly after antibiotic exposure. In others, there may be a delay to having symptoms, thus making it hard to connect the symptoms with the fluoroquinolones.
Some of the Ways Fluoroquinolones Wreak Havoc:
· Can deplete magnesium within the cells. Magnesium is needed in some 300 enzymatic reactions
· Damage mitochondrial cells (the little energy production cells for your body)
· Downgrade GABA (a neurotransmitter needed for calmness and muscle tone)
· Depletion of iron
· Liver and kidney damage
· Increased oxidative stress or free radical damage leading to more inflammation
· Depletion of anti-oxidants
· Activate mast cells (immune cells involved in allergy and inflammatory reactions)
· Disrupt endocrine or hormonal system
How We Help at Makana Integrative Wellness?
· Quantum Energetics Structured Therapy™ (QEST™) is a comprehensive wellness system. We use the tools of applied kinesiology or muscle testing and a precise numerical language to dial in exactly what your body needs to heal. It addresses the energetic disruptions tied to various conditions through direct touch and breath to trigger healing.
· QEST™ is addressing root cause energetic disruption
At Makana Integrative Wellness, we seek to make your GI system or gut happy! Why?
· The gut is the doorway to good health. Over 70% of the immune system resides along the gut lining. Here lies an intricate ecosystem including some 3-4 pounds of microorganisms (mostly bacteria) - our gut microbiome. This gut microbiome's DNA or genetic material predominates over our own genetic DNA. Our body's unique gut microbiome plays a large role in the amount of inflammation we have in our body. Modern disease understands that inflammation is the root of all chronic disease (cancer, depression, heart disease, autoimmune disease, etc.) Therefore, it has a profound impact on the biochemical reactions that dictate our health and well being.
· With QEST™, herbs, foods and supplements, we can make your gutand immune system happy and thriving.
Other Resources for Adverse Effects From Fluoroquinolones:
www.floxiehope.com is Lisa Bloomquist's (a survivor and advocate for education about fluoroquinolones) resource page for those with adverse effects from fluoroquinolones. She has ebooks, recovery stories, and other links to organizations that provide relevant content. She also has a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/The-Fluoroquinolone-Wall-of-Pain-209182505773463/?fref=ts. Also, see www.sqwallofpain.com